Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sorrentino's Edmonton West End

I am so sorry to do this- but I have had my friends ask me to write restuarant reviews so here goes the first one.
My son practically grew up at the West End Sorrentinos- but alas in the last 15 plus years this is not the best of the chain!
Last night for his 22 birthday we went in-- having not visiting it often in the last few years after the decline of the food.....
To our surprise the suggested white wine was terrific- the esgargot good and the calamri okay ( the sauce was wayyyy tooo hot)
So, we thought well maybe they have picked it up a bit- not so!
The simple mussels I ordered were too well done- and crusty!
My son had a new york steak that had what reminded me of a prepackaged 3 pepper gracy I bought when I was under 20 in a package and the tomotoe sauce on the side dish of penne tasted strangely like a bad premade sauce we had tried recently from Costco- and had decided not to buy again.
Tiramisu over the years has changed- and now it is mostly a sponge cake- little to no cheese, dry and lacking in flavour!
Nope, we will not be hitting this spot again- until of course in a few years we forget and try once again.
My recommendation- skip it!
There is a terrific Italian restuarant not far--- will tell you about that later!

No comments: