Friday, July 10, 2009

I have been a bad girl!

Weeks ago now- I went to a wonderful FUNdraiser- put on by the Junior League of Edmonton!
One of my friends did suggest to me "Why would you want to go to a stuffy event like that with all the stuffy pretentious women?"
Well, first of all I was invited by a friend- and all he did was start to mention the restaurants that would be there and I cut him off "YES"
Secondly- it must of been a bad night- no stuffy women were there!
It was fantastic
We walked from station to station and sampled the best food and wine--- so now my run down.
Sorry, I try not to say bad things on this blog about anyplace here- so some will get higher ratings than others -but it was all good.
Of course I can't say anything about the food with pork or mushrooms as I don't eat those 'things'.
But here goes on what I did eat and my stars- remember just my stars.

The Blue Pear

I love this place- the sample menus are always the perfect size and I can eat all 5 or 7 courses.
Once even tried the mushroom soup as it was a broth based concoction and it was terrific.
However at this tasting- I have no stars-- so the food was good just not spectacular

Botanica

Bison sliders- good- but only tried the meat not the bun.

Cafe de Ville- one of my favorite restaurants
menu was a goat cheese lobster mushroom tart -I passed- but I am sure it was terrific- mushrooms again

I must point out here I also do not eat wheat products so my opportunities are limited.

Characters

Do not remember the food menu but the 2005 Tinhorn Creek Vineyards from Oliver BC-- (been there great little place!) 2005 Oldfield Merlot got 3 stars and some scribbles- so highly recommend it if you like Merlots


Culinas (Highlands)

This is a new restaurant for Culina-- and the original on 99 street on the southside is amazing!
Small intimate place- yummy food! This new venture is at the old "Bacon"-- and while not been to the new place the food they presented was worth mentioning!
Lamb Koftas with eggplant and dill horseradish!

Flavours Modern Bistro

sorry cannot remember- and no stars or scribbles

Harvest Room

Ahhhh- what a place- the decor alone while a touch intimidating for some is divine for me!
Ham duck confit- so I passed.
But the Quail's Gate Estate Winery 2007 Chardonnay did get a star!
Ah- you still must go- for a special occasion this place will not make a wrong step!

Leva

Menu a fresh petal sorbet with black pansy syrup= lovely but I would serve this as a palate cleanser between courses- just very delicate and not to be confused with a dessert, in my humble opinion.

The Domaine Pinnacle 2005 Sparkling Ice Cider is a for sure try!

Lux Steakhouse

Shepards pie with watago beef- a touch dry for me-- fine meat like this is best served and appreciated in a different dish I think.

Cedar Creek Estate Winery 2008 Pinot Gris was a two star though!

Madison's Grill

I must confess I have never been here- but this was the allstar winner- hands down!
The pairing of the menu with the wine was beyond superb!
Menu- spring creek natural Beef flank with goat cheese and the wine was a Mission Hill Estate 2006 Family Estate Reserve Shiraz!
The winner! 5 stars and many scribbles

Mexico Lindo

Menu Chicken Pibil-- matched with some Alley Kat Brewing Company Ale or Lager ( I did not taste the beer but my friend was pleasantly surprised by the Full Moon Pale Ale)
3 starsfor the chicken

Suede Lounge

Surprised me here- with Alpaca! Gosh I thought that was just for clothes! I did not realize what I was eating until I tasted it- and was so surprised by this sweet meat! Aghh then I felt bad!
Amazing- you should all try this meat- sorry but it really is good!

Kerstins Chocolates

Lovely mousse in a chocolate cup.
I always love chocolate- but need to check this place out a bit more.

En Sante Organic Orchard and winery

Sorry but these all tasted like children's bubbly ciders- not my cup of vino.

So that is all- except if you want terrific herbs check out Morinville Greenhouse/West Country Herbs-- ahhhh to die for!

No comments: