Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Restaurants---

Interesting concept here. I have often wondered what makes a restaurant terrific... then we think of the food, the decor, the ambiance......
Recently I had the opportunity to ponder this again.

Why is it that some restaurants just cannot 'get it right'? ...They have the money into the decor, the right location and the right price range (meaning not cheap)--but for some reason the place just does not seem to be able to deliver. The food is bland, the decor leaves you cold--- it just does not work....

It is heart!


The best restaurants have heart, not always the newest and fanciest decor- but they do have heart. You feel welcome when you enter the restaurant not like a distraction to other chores the hostess or waiter would rather be doing. The staff actually wants you there- and not just for the wallet-- they want to serve you- they want you to try -- and to enjoy their hospitality!
The food- it is also made with heart- the kitchen staff have a love and a passion for the food they send out- again -- you are not just a paycheque. The chef enjoys food, experiments with food and wants to entice others into his or her wickedly sinful world of food!


So, what makes a restaurant great is heart. Heart of the owners to be the leaders of their organization by passing on the passion and spirit to their employees- who in turn feel a sense of pride and ownership when it comes to the food they create and serve the guests!


There are a few terrific restaurants in Edmonton that have- for me anyways always had 'heart' in the food they serve--- and I may miss a few so please forgive me-- and/or remind me with a post.....


Normands-- been a fan for years. Normand, the owner, always makes everyone feel like the purpose of his day was to meet with you and welcome you to his restaurant--- treats his veggies like stars not just a simple side-show!

Cafe de Ville-- The wait staff here and the kitchen staff show their love all the time of their product--- and of course the pastry chef----- OMG--- yes siree she loves what she does! Pride is evident with the delicious pastries here- you must save room for-- at the very least feast your eyes on the dessert platter!

Red Ox Inn-- I admit - I personally have not had the privilege of dining here for a few years- but I hear from very good secret sources the service the food and the heart are all pumping here! Years ago was my favorite place- small, intimate, tucked away with organic food-- oh yes--- I must get out there!

Hotel MacDonald-- I know- it is fancy-- but it still has heart. Enjoying a martini in the lounge- a glass of wine and dessert on the patio in the summer, a fancy four course meal in the Harvest room-- the staff here has heart! Fancy, elegant, fun, great food---- terrific historic decor, yes the Hotel MacDonald still has it- and still delivers the best to Edmontonians!

Culina's--- YUMMY! Simple, tasty, complex, interesting, perfectly prepared in a homey, naturally comfy, yet simply elegant old world way--! Yes, one must visit! Terrific!!!!! Much heart here!

Chop - on the west-end- while I agree they are more of a 'mainstream' chain type shop- They do have heart. I always eat in the lounge- and the ladies love what they do, the 'steak sandwish' is yummy and the staff do make you enjoy your time there! Honestly, there are not many resturants on the west-end of Edmonton that I would recommend or say have a huge spirit of heart! So, if someone has a terrific little spot on the west-end please let me know so I can go and scout it out!

I do have more to add--- and they shall be forth-coming as I go through my little book!
Should you know of any little hidden gems that have heart-please do not be shy in letting us know about them. I love getting out and trying new places! I must admit though we are trying to be a 'nice' place so this is not a good food critic place- we will only post the places we go to that are good-- so you can take that anyway you like- if it is not posted it maybe we just have not been there!

Ah yes- to add.......

I hate to say this, as I abhor chain anything- but

Earls --- This chain has been able to create the image of heart. The food is always consistent, the staff always happy to see you, consistently young and fresh and willing to to 'sell you' on their product. I know it sounds horrid- but if you want the same dish you had in Vancouver at an Earls- you will get the exact same dish at a place in Edmonton. This is the secret to McDonald's-- the same..... the same cute little girl, or young man serving you with a smile... at the very least you do know when you pull up what you will get--- and it did make the second generation of Fullers very wealthy after they decided the 24 hour pancake houses were just not pulling in the dough!

more to be added--- please email or comment on any you might like to add!

No comments: