Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cafe de Ville


Another lovely wine tasting at Cafe de Ville here in Edmonton.
As always interesting food, creatively combined with a knowledgeable wine representative available to increase our knowledge!
This time it was Errazuiz from Chile- food and wine to compliment each other.

First Course
Chilean Seabass Cassoulet
mixed beans, pumpkin roasted corn with a large chunk of perfect Sea bass on top!
served with what I though was a rather heavy, syrupy white Sauvignon Blanc- which complimented the spice of the veggies!

Second Course
Vegetables Empanads
Peppers, olives, smoked tomatoes, green beans, loads of garlic, rice all wrapped in a puff pastry.
served with Errazuiz Wild Ferment Pinot Noir- which I found more complex than most Pinots-- especially the ones from the 'homelands.'
This was amazing! Peppery, tart- amazing!

Third Course
Was pork wrapped in pork fat with red chili
(I had to pass on this dish- and was cheerfully served a alternative) Wow did I win out on this choice!
I got a seared scallop wrapped in a vegetarian 'Bacon'. This 'bacon' was better than most real bacon-very smoky, solid with no fat-- available I am told at most Safeways!
The wine was a Errazuriz Max Rivera Cabernet. I found hints of tobacco, very smooth, with a short finish and simple while holding its own complexity.

Main Course
You know fantastic when someone can take the most simple of all meals and turn into something special!
Petit beef tenderloin with duck fat, double fried pomme frittes topped with a quails egg.
What a take off the simple steak and fries!
Served with a Errazuriz Max Reserva Carmenere-- Cocky and simple perfection.


Dessert-
Always the one thing you truly should eat first at Cafe De Ville just to ensure you have room left!
Apricot Bavarian on a Cardamom
short dough with an almond and hazelnut trulie cookie.
To be honest, this was amazing- but my taste buds are not fond of hazelnut in any form other than fresh out of its shell-- so I do not eat all of mine..... nothing against the pastry chef here-she is terrific and makes the most amazing white pear truffles this side of the universe!
Served with a Errazuriz late harvest Sauvignon Blanc--- very similar in taste and texture to our famous Ice Wines from the Okanagon- very good and I am sure at a much better 'buy' than what our ice wines sell for. If you are wanting a good dessert wine and the price of our award winning ice wines are a touch more than you wish to spend check out this Chilean alternative I am sure you will not be disappointed!
(In saying that I did have a few more 'tastes' of this dessert wine that I needed!)

check out this site-- I now what to go to Chile to see this incredible valley!
http://www.errazuriz.com/

No comments: