Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bisque from lobster 'bones'
















I understand this may sound silly- when we are all trying to save money- but lobster bisque is fantastic. Please though, I splurged in August and held my annual Lobster party. I had left over bodies, a tail (which my son ate before I could add it to the soup) and some claws. Rather than throw all this away I froze the left-overs and just made some bisque. Re-use don't throw out!
This winter my family will be eating roasts and full chickens- then soups and stews made with the bones and left-overs! One must save money!
The recipe...... sorry I am not that great on measuring. Which brings me to the cloves- I did not realize there was no little holed cap on the spice jar and there is more cloves in this soup than there should be- and it is fantastic!
'Bones of three lobsters'
I smashed the bones, tore apart the bodies and threw them all in a big pot, one container of chicken stock, one onion, three bayleaves and too much cloves!
I kept the meat on the side
Simmered the bones and the chicken stock for half an hour- drained the stock.
1/4 cup of butter melting in pot, 1/4 cup of flour- heated until dissolved add 2 cups of milk and brought to a light boil stirring to ensure no lumps.
Then I added the reserved stock, and the meat and slowly heated for about 10 minutes.
Voila- lovely silky smooth bisque that really did not cost me anything!

No comments: